« Home | Grand Rounds 2.10 » | Super-sized needles » | It’s a small world, after all » | China--being as forthcoming as they claim? » | Back! » | More microbial tools » | Influenza series from LiveScience » | Could arsenic poisoning have led to the developmen... » | Only in America... » | Followup to "dragons and microbes" post » 

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 

Berenstain Bears co-creator, Stan Berenstain, dies

Link to CNN story.
Stan Berenstain, who with his wife created the popular children's books about the Berenstain Bears, has died.

In more than 200 books, the Berenstain Bears, written and illustrated by Stan and Jan Berenstain, helped children for 40 years cope with trips to the dentist, eating junk food and cleaning their messy rooms.

The first Berenstain Bears book, "The Great Honey Hunt," was published in 1962. The couple developed the series with children's author Theodor Geisel -- better known as Dr. Seuss, then head of children's publishing at Random House -- with the goal of teaching children to read while entertaining them.

I know a post about a children's book author may seem out of place on a blog mostly devoted to science issues, but I read tons of Berenstain Bears book when I was a tot, and I now have a bunch more for my own kids. They actually have a number of books with a science theme:

The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature
The Berenstain Bears' Science Fair
The Berenstain Bears on the Moon
The Berenstain Bears Don't Pollute
The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone
The Berenstain Bears: Brother Bear Loves Dinosaurs (for really little tykes)
Heck, even one now for the information age: The Berenstain Bears Lost in Cyberspace

Plus, they had a woman doctor, back before Barbie taught girls that "math is hard."

I wonder sometimes how much books like these and many others shaped my early interest in science. When I was a bit older, I loved Nancy Drew books...my mom had probably 25 of them from when she was young. I'd always buy the Encyclopedia Brown mysteries from the book club in elementary school. I used to read encyclopedias, too, and now that everything is online, it's rare to even find an actual set of those. As an older child, I graduated to science fiction and "classic" literature, but I could never get into anything too romantic and stereotypically "girly." And today, I've definitely benefited from all that reading and varied interests from my childhood. My daughter is at that age where she's starting to read more independenly--I hope she learns to love it as much as I do. Thank you, Mr. Berenstain.

|

About me

  • I'm Tara C. Smith
  • From Iowa, United States
  • I'm a mom and a scientist, your basic stressed-out, wanna-have-it-all-and-do-it-all Gen Xer. Recently transplanted from Ohio to Iowa, I've spent most of my life in the midwest (with 4 years of college spent out east in "soda" territory). My main interest, and the subject of my research, is infectious disease: how does the microbe cause illness? What makes one strain nasty, and another "avirulent?" Are the latter really not causing any disease, or could some of those be possible for the development of chronic disease years down the road? Additionally, I've spent a lot of time discussing the value of teaching evolution, and educating others about "intelligent design" and other forms of creationism. My interest in history of science and medicine is also useful as a way to tie all of the above interests together. [Disclaimer: the views here are solely my own, and do not represent my employer, my spouse, that guy who's always sitting by the fountain when I come into work, or anyone else with whom I may be remotely affiliated.]
My profile

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
The Tangled Bank Locations of visitors to this page
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Aetiology!


powered by Bloglet


The Evolution Education Site Ring

This site ring is owned by John Stear

Previous Site

List Sites

Random Site

Join Ring

Next Site