Peter Sandman, an expert on risk communication, provides some sage advice for those of us dealing with a sudden surge of questions about pandemic influenza in this piece.
1. Be nice to the newbies.
2. Watch out for people’s adjustment reaction — and the authorities’ adjustment reaction.
3. Focus less on the pharmaceutical fix.
4. Focus more on worst case scenarios.
5. Focus more on non-medical preparedness.
6. Focus more on non-governmental and local preparedness.
7. Focus more on worldwide preparedness.
8. Get clear on the “pan” in “pandemic.”
9. Get clear on the “pre” — and the “maybe” — in pandemic preparedness
The Cliff notes version somehow doesn't do his essay justice...